Local Specialist Teachers (LSTs) are exceptional practitioners who, within their own schools, have experience of supporting others in developing their practice. They are teachers who have been nominated by their Headteachers because of their high quality work in school. They have a range of knowledge and skills related to their own areas of expertise which can help schools to drive improvement, linked to the Teacher’s Standards. LSTs’ knowledge of subject areas and classroom practice is up to date and they will build relationships with colleagues to ensure that every effort is made to act on feedback and demonstrate impact.
The role of the Local Specialist Teacher is to:
- Support the development of classroom practice
- Work with individuals or small groups to develop understanding of teaching and learning and support them to impact on standards by sharing knowledge and expertise of what works well in the classroom
- Engage in action research to enhance their own practice and inform others
- Engage in the delivery of CPD across local schools
- Gain further experience by working across schools
For more information, please view the following pdf: LST Description.
Name: Laura Byford
School: Linwood School
Role: Post 16 Skills Centre Class Teacher
LST specialisms: Art & Design / Fine Art / Photography / Sculpture / Art History / Philosophy
Responsibilities: Art & Design Subject Leader
About me: A highly creative teacher who believes in the ‘power of art’, and that everyone has the potential to express themselves artistically.